Becoming certified distinguishes you as a leader and high-level professional in the healthcare finance industry. It reflects a deep personal commitment and sense of accountability that inspires credibility and confidence in your professional knowledge. Through HFMA Certification Programs, you can show your dedication to high industry standards.
HFMA provides certification in several areas – CHFP for Certified Health Finance Professionals, and CRCR for Certified Revenue Cycle Representatives. Advanced preparation is available for both programs. FHFMA Certification are the HFMA Fellows. All certifications require maintenance or recertification on a regular schedule.
The Certified Revenue Cycle Representative (CRCR) program helps set standards of performance for revenue cycle staff. By becoming certified in the CRCR program, you or your team has the designation that proves a high level of revenue cycle knowledge and expertise has been reached. Individuals as well as organizations may purchase the program.
About the CRCR Program
- Available to both HFMA members and non-members
- After successful completion of the program, participants will become certified in the CRCR program.
- Those who have earned theCRCR designation must recertify every two years.
- The CRCR exam will be proctored electronically and monitored by HFMA.
- The CRCR program is not compatible with iPads, tablets, e-Readers, or similar devices.
Additional information about the CRCR program can be found on the HFMA website at www.hfma.org/crcr/
About the CHFP Program
CHFP is designed for mid-level healthcare finance professionals who aspire to the executive level or desire confirmation of financial management expertise in US healthcare. CHFP certification demonstrates your qualifications to senior management, co-workers, and the industry highlighting your commitment to the profession and to maintaining up-to-date skills and knowledge.
Learn more about the CHFP certification at www.hfma.org/chfp/
About the FHFMA Program
As recognized industry leaders, HFMA Fellows act as ambassadors to the profession by raising the standard of practice through consistent participation in professional development activities and service to the healthcare finance industry. Fellows can maintain their FHFMA designation by teaching courses, making presentations, publishing, participating in special interest groups or attending educational events. It’s up to you!
Requirements for FHFMA® certification include:
- Current CHFP designation
- Five years total as a regular or advanced HFMA member (student membership does not count toward this total)
- Bachelor degree or 120 semester hours from an accredited college or university
- Volunteer activity in healthcare finance within three years of applying for the FHFMA designation, including one of the following:
- Earn the Follmer Bronze Award by earning 25 Founders points for HFMA volunteer activity
- Volunteer in your HFMA chapter and earn two Founders points for two consecutive years
- Volunteer service for two of the past three years in a healthcare industry organization
For additional information concerning the FHFMA program, please go to http://www.hfma.org/Content.aspx?id=512
Have you entered your maintenance hours?
Did you know that you must self report all continuing education activities to maintain your certification status as a CHFP or FHFMA?
Continuing Education Requirement
The Board of Examiners (BoE) has specified the following maintenance requirements:
60 contact hours total in eligible programs over the three-year reporting period. A Contact hour is 50 minutes of continuous programming, excluding meals, breaks, or social activities.
- Minimum of 20 contact hours per maintenance reporting year (6/1 through 5/31 for the three years prior to the “Good thru” date)
- Minimum of 50% of the total contact hours (45 hours) must be in healthcare finance. The remaining contact hours may be from attending eligible programs and professional activities that contribute to the development of business and or technical skills.
For example, each time you go to a monthly HFMA meeting or another qualified activity, you need to enter the hours, program title, date, etc. in an on-line reporting tool that is available on the National HFMA website. A list of education activities eligible for certification maintenance can also be found there. For the HFMA online education tool and complete instructions, go to…
Please keep a copy of the agenda and/or CPE certificate from each continuing education activity attended, in case you are asked to provide proof of your attendance. Also, sign the CPE sign-in sheet that is usually provided near the registration desk at HFMA Chapter meetings.
Failure to complete the above requirements will result in removal of the certification designation by September 1 of the year the maintenance was required, i.e. your “Good thru” date. Once a designation has been removed, the member must complete the entire certification process again, including re-taking the certification examinations and submitting a conforming CHFP and/or FHFMA application with all appropriate fees, to HFMA National.
For more information concerning Maintenance of your certifications please go to http://www.hfma.org/Content.aspx?id=513